We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Small Changes Add Up To Big Results
You may recall the saying “good things come in small packages.” How about this one “small changes add up to big results.” This can be especially true when it comes to small changes we can make for a healthier body.
Why wait for the big New Year Resolution Day January 1st? Make a few of these small changes starting today and you’ll breeze right through January. Remember it can take 21 to 30 days for new changes to become habit so be kind to yourself as change is never easy.
Small changes to make today for a healthier you tomorrow:
- Cut back on the amount of times you order meals out or run through a drive through restaurant and prepare your meals at home. The truth of the matter is that you really do not know what is in your food when you order out and many times it is high in fat and calories. Cut back and you may find that your waistline will become smaller too.
- Choose stairs over elevators and escalators. Stairs are a fantastic way to sneak activity into your day. It may not be easy when you first start taking the stairs but the results will have you looking for more stairs to add into your day!
- Designate your kitchen or dining room table as the ONLY place you will eat. This may be a tough one if you are used to snacking on the couch watching TV but it will help you cut back on eating too many unhealthy snacks. Matter of fact, take it a bit further and designate your couch or favorite chair as a no eating zone!
- Do you eat when you’re bored? Many of us do – me included. What stopped me from mindless munching was to find something else to do with my hands. Some days you may find me reading while other days it’s doodling in a journal or even coloring in a coloring book. What do you like to do? Knit? Crochet? Paint? Whatever it is, when you find yourself munching mindlessly, get your hands busy doing something fun.
- Instead of going home after work, stop at the gym or take a walk. You know EXACTLY what will happen if you go home instead of making the time to exercise. Best thing you can do is remove stopping at home for any reason out of the equation and get your workout in. Pack your clothes the night before and put the bag in your car. Walking my dog in the morning and attending fitness class in the afternoon are the favorite parts of my day and keeps my stress in check.
- Hate the gym? Then find something else to do. There are so many options to squeeze activity into our days (see take the stairs above) that you don’t need to force yourself to do something you really don’t enjoy doing.
- Keep your favorite snacks out of the house. You know if they’re in the house you will eat them so just don’t buy them. Have a few healthier options available in case you really can’t control the urge to much.
- Get rid of the soda. This may be a tough one in the beginning so start slow by replacing just one soda a day with water and build from there. This one simple change can have you quickly punching a hole in your belt as your waistline decreases. True story! Happened to my husband.
You know the answer to the question how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Well now you know the answer to the question how do I get healthy? One small change at a time. You got this!
To your health,