Yay! Summer has finally arrived. Don’t worry about rainy days – learn to dance in the rain! The best part of summer is that we are able to take our workouts outside. Also summer allows us to think outside of the box for exercise. Everything is more fun outside so if you don’t feel like hitting the gym, head outdoors to garden, run through the sprinklers with your kids or grandkids, take a hike or maybe pull out your canoe and head to the river. Below are a few fitness tips to help you enjoy your summer workouts:
- Summer heat can be an issue so think about what time of day would be best to exercise outside. Mornings and evenings are usually the best times especially when the temperatures are hitting the upper 80’s and higher.
- Hydrate before you head outside to exercise. Drink a glass or two of water an hour or so before you plan to exercise.
- Bring your water bottle with you and be sure to drink often. Rule of thumb is every 15 minutes or so. Staying hydrated is more difficult in higher temps than it is on cooler days. It’s important to stay hydrated so that you don’t experience being light-headed or nauseous.
- Wear loose light colored clothing. This allows the body to cool itself. If you are on the road walking, jogging, or biking be sure to wear bright colors so that drivers can see you. I have several neon t-shirts and tank tops that I wear for my morning walk/jog.
- Sunscreen is a must. Be sure to apply liberally all over your body and face. Be sure to get your neck, back and shoulders too. I use the SPF 30 or higher sport version.
- If possible, choose shaded trails if you are out during the hottest part of the day which is generally noon to 3. Shade can cool the temps 10 or more degrees plus keep the sun from beating on you.
- Listen to your body. Should you start to feel weak, dizzy, faint or nauseous stop immediately and seek help. If no one is around, call 911 and get the help you need quickly.
Exercising outdoors also helps lifts our spirits and puts us in a better mood. A simple 10 minute walk on your lunch hour on a sunny day will help you breeze through the rest of your work day. Want to ramp it up? Head to the beach and walk. Walking or jogging on sand is more challenging because it’s uneven. Exercising on the beach uses more muscles giving you a great workout. Most important? Just have FUN!
To your health,
Denise Sanger is a high energy business owner with over 30 years experience in the marketing area. She has transitioned her love of fitness and marketing into helping others succeed in their own businesses. She founded How To Stay Fit Over 50 to provide hope and support to others by motivating them to take the first step in their fitness journey no matter what age. Email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.