There is one word – a terrible word – that must be taken out of every single person’s vocabulary at least when it comes to limiting what they want to do. Do you know what that word is? The word is can’t. Nothing pains me more than to hear someone say that they “can’t do this” or they “can’t do that” or “I can’t do it!” What is even worse is to hear it out of a young child’s mouth. Makes me want to cry to hear a young one believe they can’t do something. You know that their mindset is what they are being taught at home.
I have heard so many people say the following sentences when it comes to their health and wellness:
- I can’t workout like you do because……
- I can’t eat only healthy foods because…….
- I can’t work from home like you do because……
- I can’t complete a 5K. I can’t complete a triathlon. I can’t complete…….
Do you “hear” yourself in any of those sentences? If only for today you make it through the day without using the word can’t, you will overcome many challenges you are currently facing in your life. Let’s break it down sentence by sentence and see how you feel when you have finished reading this post.
- I can’t workout like you do because…… Because you have a family? Because you work long hours? Because you don’t work from home like I do? Because you feel uncomfortable at the gym? I am here to tell you right now that not one of the excuses you can create in your mind bears any weight. 30 minutes is all it takes and everyone can find 30 minutes in their day. I know first hand that working long hours to pay the bills is tough. My way of eliminating that problem before I became self employed? I packed my gym bag and stopped for 30 minutes on the way home from work. Another way I would get my 30 minutes of exercise in would be to shorten my lunch and take a 30 minute walk. If you have family, get them all outside walking with you after dinner because they need the exercise just as much as you do. Finally if you really think you don’t have 30 minutes for exercise, break it up in three 10 minute sessions.
- I can’t eat healthy foods because….. Because you have to have junk in the house for your spouse/kids/grandkids? Because it’s too expensive? Because you don’t have time to prepare something for dinner from scratch? First off, you are not being held at gunpoint and being told that you must have cookies and chips in your house or you will be shot. You are the adult and you make the decisions as to what goes into your house. It’s better for everyone to choose fruit over cookies any day of the week. Eating healthy is no more expensive than eating unhealthy. These days a drive through McDonald’s for dinner for four people is easily over $20. You can buy chicken, brown rice or quinoa, and vegetables for much less than $20 and feed your family a quick yet healthy meal and still have money left to have Greek yogurt for dessert. Not enough time? Wrong again. The meal I just described will take you less than 30 minutes from start to table. If you need other ideas, grab Rachael Ray’s 30 Minute Meals cook book. I love her 30 minute meals.
- I can’t work from home like you do because…………. Because you have bills to pay? Because no one will pay you enough money because you work from home? Or my favorite – people that work from home don’t really work. Really? I decided long ago that I would be in control of my life and my finances and ever since I made that decision more than 15 years ago, I have been self employed. I love helping people become their healthy self which is what I do with this fitness business and site that you are visiting today and can help you get started if you’d like. I also enjoy writing and that is the first thing I do every morning. Finally, I also own a wholesale distribution company with my husband and our warehouse is on our property. The key? It didn’t happen overnight but I MADE IT HAPPEN. If this is something you might be interested, visit my blog I have with my daughter – MinimalismIsSimple.com and REALLY look at where you are spending your money. If I would have done just a few of the things that I do now to simplify my life, it would have been so much simpler to start my business. If you truly want to own your own business, write it down, simplify then MAKE IT HAPPEN!
- I can’t complete a 5K; triathlon; half marathon……… Do you know what? I didn’t think I could either! I went to watch Coach Becky in a triathlon and thought to myself “I want to do that!” All thoughts of can’t went right out of my head. I started with 5K’s and biking. Let me tell you I wanted to give up less than one mile into my first 5K and hated every single minute of it. But I pulled through with Coach Becky’s motivation and never looked back. Whatever it is that you are thinking you might like to do, go check it out. You never really know until you experience it first hand. Then if you still think it is something you want to do, start working towards that goal. For me the path to my first triathlon started with walking/running in 5K’s, biking on the weekends, and swimming when I had a chance. I am proud to say, gimpy knee and all, I completed my first tri last year, have completed 3 half marathons, and am training for my second triathlon in August.
You can do ANYTHING you set your mind too – IF you want it bad enough. It might not be easy but you must pull from deep within, stick with it, push through and make it happen. Stop making excuses and take responsibility for everything that you want in life. This is exactly where our motto on our website and Facebook community of Yes You CAN comes from. Believe in yourself.
To your health,
Denise Sanger is a high energy business owner with over 30 years experience in the marketing area. She has transitioned her love of fitness and marketing into helping others succeed in getting fit and running their own businesses. She founded How To Stay Fit Over 50 to provide hope and support to others by motivating them to take the first step in their fitness journey no matter what age. Email her at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org